FDA expands eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters
LE MARS - The FDA amended the emergency use authorizations (EUA) for both the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines authorizing use of a single booster dose for all individuals 18 years of age and older after completion of primary vaccination with any FDA-authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices also approved this recommendation.
The following are the recommendations and scheduling information:
• Johnson & Johnson
◦ Single booster dose of the Janssen (J&J) COVID-19 Vaccine should be administered at least 2 months after completion of the single-dose primary regimen to individuals 18 years of age and older.
◦ Appointments are required through Floyd Valley Community Health, please call 712.546.3335. Please bring your vaccination card.
◦ Single booster dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine should be administered at least 6 months after completion of the primary series.
◦ Appointments are open to the general public through Floyd Valley Clinics, please call your provider directly or 712.546.8111. Please bring your photo ID, insurance card(s) and vaccination card.
■ Upcoming Influenza / COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
▫︎ Thursday, December 2, from 5-7 p.m., located inside the Floyd Valley North Entrance (appointments required)
◦ Single booster dose of Pfizer (Comirnaty) at least six calendar months after completing the primary series.
◦ Appointments are required through Floyd Valley Community Health, please go to FloydValley.org for online scheduling or call 712.546.3335. Please bring your vaccination card.
• Mixing of Vaccines for Boosters
◦ Individuals should try to get the same COVID-19 vaccine booster as their initial primary dose(s), but if it’s not available, it’s okay to mix vaccines. Follow the primary series/dose window. For example:
■ Pfizer primary series with Moderna booster or vice versa would be administered 6 months after primary series.
■ Pfizer primary series with Johnson & Johnson booster would be administered 6 months after primary series.
■ Johnson & Johnson primary dose with Moderna or Pfizer booster would be administered 2 months after primary series.