Fire-Rescue tackle another blaze

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

LE MARS - On Monday, Le Mars Fire-Rescue firefighters battled their second structure fire in three days.

At 4:13 p.m., the Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department was called to a fire at 208 Sixth St. S.W., for a kitchen fire.

According to Fire Chief David Schipper, upon arrival there was visible smoke coming from the rear of the house.

"The fire had also vented out of a rear window of the home. The owner of the home was outside and did state that his dog was still in the home," Schipper said.

Firefighters entered the home in the back and found the kitchen engulfed in fire. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in the kitchen and vented heavy smoke from the home.

Schipper said while ventilating the home firefighters did locate the manís dog.

"The dog was not responsive. Firefighters brought the dog out of the home and applied a recently donated pet oxygen mask. The dog began to come around and was transported to a local vet," Schipper said.

Firefighters were on scene for around an hour and a half.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

A large container of some frozen items was placed on the stove-top. A burner on the stove was left on or inadvertently turned on. The plastic container ignited and the fire spread to the cupboards above and broke the glass out of the kitchen window gaining oxygen and the fire grew consuming the entire kitchen.

The fire caused around $35,000 in damage from fire and smoke damage. The home is unable to be occupied at this time.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: