Remsen St. Mary’s takes two from Trinity Christian

Thursday, February 8, 2018

REMSEN — The Remsen St. Mary’s girls basketball team avenged an overtime loss to Trinity Christian and the boys followed up with a rout of the Tigers on Friday, February 2, to earn a sweep.

The Lady Hawks lost 46-43 in overtime in the first game of the season, but came out with a strong first half and held on for a 48-37 win in the rematch.

“We played our best game of the season against a team we gave up an average of 4-5 inches per player,” RSM Head Coach Scott Willman said. “By keeping turnovers lower with 16, we were able to get more shots than our first meeting. We built a nice lead of 29-14 and were able to hold off a run that saw the score at 35-30. Tori Galles hit a big three to extend our lead back to eight and end their run.”

Sydney Schorg and Tori Galles both finished with 13 points as Galles went a perfect 3-of-3 from beyond the arc for nine of her points and added four more at the free-throw line. Galles added six steals and four assists while Schorg ended with six boards as she hit a pair of threes.

Emma Galles added eight points while Sydney Schroeder topped the team with seven rebounds.

The RSM boys shot an extraordinary 73 percent from the floor and missed just three shots from within the arc, going 33-of-45 overall in the game as they won 80-38. The 80 points scored is second-best for the team this year, behind just the 83 point performance the team had in the season opener against Clay Central-Everly.

Spencer Schorg led the team with 18 points as he made four 3-pointers. He added five assists and three steals.

Nicholas Ruden went 7-of-8 on the night and finished with 16 points. He added four assists and a pair of blocks.

Brody Ricke was the only other player in double digits with 12 points. Ricke added three rebounds and steals.

Eleven different players scored points in the game for the Hawks.

The RSM girls improve to 3-17 on the season. The boys are now 19-0. The teams will host Unity Christian on Tuesday, February 6, with the boys game determining the winner of the War Eagle Conference.