[Masthead] Overcast ~ 48°F  
High: 48°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Hinton girls lose thriller in overtime

Friday, February 1, 2013

(Sentinel photo by Andy Lenz) Blackhawk junior Shaeler Lund makes a basket in her team's matchup with second ranked Newell-Fonda on Thursday. She finished the night with 10 points and nine assists.
HINTON -- The Blackhawks gave it their all and forced second ranked Newell-Fonda into overtime on Tuesday, but ultimately fell short 73-71.

"We played hard," Hinton coach Joel Small said. "Once again we gave ourselves a chance to win but we had untimely turnovers and some poor free throw shooting."

In a game that was fiercely contested from the beginning, Small's team was able to gain some separation in the opening quarter and was ahead 21-16.

(Sentinel photo by Andy Lenz) Hinton junior Lauren Hedlund drives the ball in Tuesday night's game against Newell-Fonda at Hinton.
"We jumped out early tonight, had a good start," Small said.

But the second stanza belonged to the Mustangs, who outscored the Blackhawks 19-6 to take a 32-30 lead into halftime.

Things remained close after the break and neither team could build a significant lead.

Hinton managed to lead by one point going into the final eight minutes, 49-48.

Both teams stayed neck-and-neck in the game's closing stages and the score was tied 61-61 with just two minutes left to play.

The Blackhawks were able to get a defensive rebound but could not capitalize on their possession.

Newell-Fonda ran down the clock and Tailyer Schrank drilled a three pointer for with just 2.4 seconds left in the game to put the Mustangs ahead 64-61.

Hinton had to hurry up to get a chance to send the game into overtime.

After a long pass, the ball ended up in the hands of junior Alex Yoerger.

Just as the final buzzer sounded, Yoerger got a contested shot off from behind the arc. The ball bounced off the glass into the basket; the game was tied 64-64.

The Blackhawks had forced overtime.

The gym erupted as the players got ready to compete for another four minutes.

Yoerger picked up right where she had left off and nailed another trey to start overtime.

It seemed as if momentum was on Hinton's side, but costly turnovers gave the Mustangs a chance to get back into the game.

Newell-Fonda hit two consecutive threes to gain a 70-67 lead with two minutes to go.

The Blackhawks scored on their next possession to get within a point again. A Mustangs turnover gave Hinton the chance to regain the lead, but they lost the ball and had to send a Newell-Fonda player to the line. With 32 seconds left, the Wolverines made one of their two free throws and were up by two points.

The Blackhawks went on the attack but another turnover forced them to foul again with 12 seconds left.

This time, Newell-Fonda made both free throws to make it a two possession game.

"We kind of got ourselves into a rut and had untimely turnovers again," Small said. "They were stalling a little bit and they were tough to defend."

Hinton junior Lauren Hedlund made another bucket but it was not enough to avoid defeat.

Hedlund led her team in scoring with 20 points. She was followed by Yoerger with 18 and Sadie Shuck with 16 points. Shaeler Lund scored ten points for the Blackhawks and had a team-high nine assists.

Hedlund and Shuck both had double-doubles, grabbing 12 and 10 rebounds, respectively.

With Tuesday night's loss against Heelan and the loss against Newell-Fonda, Hinton's overall record dropped to 14-3. They will travel to Hawarden to face West Sioux tonight (Friday).

"It'll be a battle. We'll have to come ready to play," Small said. "I think it's a good thing to get back on the court right away and not have to ponder what happened in the last two games."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2016 Le Mars Daily Sentinel