[Masthead] Fair ~ 77°F  
High: 78°F ~ Low: 55°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Blackhawks pull off win at final buzzer

Friday, February 1, 2013

(Sentinel photo by Andy Lenz) Jason Vander Kooi gets a good look at the basket in Hinton's buzzer-beating win Thursday against Newell-Fonda.
HINTON -- There was not a dull moment in the matchup between the Hinton boys basketball team and Newell-Fonda on Thursday, and a shot at the final buzzer gave the game a climactic ending. Thanks to a last-second shot by Logan Jurgensmeier, the Blackhawks won 58-57.

"It's a big win for us," Hinton coach David May said.

Both teams got off to a good start and after the several lead changes, the score was tied 15-15 at the end of the first quarter.

(Sentinel photo by Andy Lenz) Hinton's Morgan Wenzel finds nothin' but net when he rises for a shot during the Blackhawks' win over Newell-Fonda.
May's team was able to pull away in the second stanza and took a 34-29 lead into the locker room at halftime.

After the break, the Blackhawks initially could not match the intensity they had shown in the first half. Turnovers allowed the Mustangs to chip away at their opponent's lead.

At the end of the third period, Newell-Fonda had caught up with Hinton and pulled ahead by a point, 43-42.

(Sentinel photo by Andy Lenz) Hinton's Grady Farrer sinks a shot for the Blackhawks in their last-second triumph over Newell-Fonda Thursday in Hinton.
Nothing could separate the two teams until the game's closing seconds.

With a score of 56-56 and 12 seconds left on the clock, the Blackhawks had the ball and went on the attack.

But instead of seizing the opportunity to take the lead, Hinton turned the ball over and got called on a foul with just 2.8 seconds left to go.

The Mustangs made the first free throw but missed the second one.

The Blackhawks grabbed the rebound and immediately called a timeout.

With the game on the line, Hinton threw a long pass into Newell-Fonda territory. It landed in the hands of Jason Vander Kooi, who had to take a contested shot that did not go in.

Just as the final buzzer sounded, Jurgensmeier elevated underneath the basket, grabbed his teammate's missed shot and put it into the hoop.

"We drew up a play where we had two screens, one for Jurgensmeier and one for Jason Vander Kooi," May said. "I gave Morgan Wenzel two options what he could do, and he chose to go to Jason. He missed the shot but Logan put it in."

The Hinton players celebrated, the crowd roared, but there was still some controversy whether Jurgensmeier had gotten the shot off in time.

After seconds that seemed like ages, the referees declared that the basket would count.

The Blackhawks had won the game by one point, 58-57.

Celebrating a win in his final home game, senior Vander Kooi jumped across the floor in celebration, and his teammates joined in.

After the game, the Hinton coach said he thought the Blackhawks had a rough second half against the Newell-Fonda team.

"We made a lot of mistakes, but the kids hung in there," May said. "They came through ready to play at the end and won the game."

Jurgensmeier finished the night with a team-high 25 points, followed by Vander Kooi with 12. Vander Kooi and Morgan Wenzel each had four assists.

Jurgensmeier and Wenzel led their team defensively with seven rebounds each.

With the win, Hinton's record improves to 10-7.

"We have two games left in the regular season. We'll for sure have a winning record and that is big for the players," May said.

The Blackhawks will face West Sioux in an away game tonight (Friday).

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2016 Le Mars Daily Sentinel