[Masthead] Fair ~ 75°F  
High: 82°F ~ Low: 64°F
Friday, July 29, 2016

Jandreau sentenced to prison for burglary, assault

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A judge Monday ordered a Le Mars man convicted for a crime spree in Le Mars to serve up to 45 consecutive years in prison.

In November, a Plymouth County District Court jury found Matthew Jandreau, 20, guilty of charges filed after a burglary at a Le Mars home March 2.

A Le Mars girl, 11, who was alone in the house, called 911.

Jandreau was arrested in the basement of the house with the girl.

On Monday, Judge Jeffrey Neary ordered Jandreau to serve up to 25 years in prison for burglary in the first degree, up to 10 years for kidnapping in the third degree and up to 10 years for assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, causing bodily injury.

The sentences are to be served consecutively, which is a total of up to 45 years, according to the court records.

Judge Neary also sentenced Jandreau to serve up to 10 years in prison for attempted burglary in the second degree, up to five years for operating a motor vehicle without the owner's consent and up to two years for criminal mischief in the third degree.

Those three sentences are to be served at the same time, or concurrently, according to the judge.

Four-thousand dollars in fines were ordered for the convictions, but were suspended by the judge.

Victims of the crimes are to be repaid for expenses and or damages, according to the judge's order.

A specific amount was not stated by the judge.

Neary ordered Jandreau to register as a sex offender within five days of being released from prison after serving his sentence.

Jandreau read a statement before he was sentenced.

"No matter what I say, I know I will go to prison," he told Neary.

He also told the judge he was not violent.

"I can't tell you why I did this -- I just don't know," Jandreau said.

He also said he wished he had stayed home and had not gone drinking before the March 2 crime spree he was charged with.

Police said he caused a disturbance at the Le Mars Truck Stop then walked out, took a van from a residence and a purse from the van.

The purse was found in the house where he was arrested with the girl.

An attempt to break-in another residence was reported prior to the incident with the girl who was home alone from school because she was ill.

As he continued to read from the paper he'd unfolded in the courtroom for sentencing Monday, Jandreau told the judge, "I always thought I'd be a failure."

After hearing Jandreau's statement, Neary said he'd considered what was in a report on Jandreau presented to the judge, Jandreau's court-appointed attorney, Mike Williams, of Sioux City, and Plymouth County Attorney Darin Raymond.

Neary said he also considered the impact on victims of Jandreau's crimes along with testimony and evidence presented by attorneys.

He also considered the circumstances and the potential of what might have occurred and the need to protect the community, the judge said.

Williams, Jandreau's attorney, had asked for a new trial before the sentencing Monday.

The request was opposed by Raymond and denied Monday in a ruling by the judge just before Jandreau was sentenced.

Jandreau can appeal his conviction and sentence to the Iowa Supreme Court within 30 days, according to the judge.

Raymond, who prosecuted Jandreau, told the Daily Sentinel he was not going to make any comments because he expected the case to be appealed.

"I'm satisfied with the sentence," he said.

© 2016 Le Mars Daily Sentinel