[Masthead] Fair ~ 45°F  
High: 66°F ~ Low: 53°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Amber Inn fire found to be accidental

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

No one was injured after a fire broke out Monday evening at the Amber Inn Motel, 635 Eighth Ave. S.W., Le Mars.

Residents were evacuating the motel upon arrival of the Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department at 8:28 p.m., said Fire-Rescue Chief Dave Schipper in a press release.

People in rooms 86 and 82 had reported the smell of smoke to the front desk and the fire-rescue department was called at about 8:21 p.m., he explained.

Schipper said Le Mars Police officers advised they smelled smoke at the north end of the building and activated the fire alarm.

The fire-rescue department entered the motel and determined the smell was coming from the north end of the motel building between rooms 80 and 86, Schipper said.

Firefighters searched each room but did not locate any fire, he said.

While the room search was being done, another fire crew was checking the attic area of the motel.

The fire was located above the sheetrock ceiling in the bathroom of room 86, Schipper said in the press release.

Firefighters pulled hose lines into the building and found fire in the attic insulation and part of a wood truss on fire in the ceiling, he said.

The fire was extinguished and smoke was ventilated from the north wing of the motel and room 86. The insulation was removed to the parking lot, Schipper said.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, he said.

A can light in the bathroom of room 86 ignited nearby insulation and a wood truss in the attic area, Schipper explained.

The light was removed and the wiring was secured and segregated.

The fire alarm system was reset and residents were allowed back into motel rooms except for room 86.

Schipper said the fire-rescue department was on the scene about one hour returning to the station at 9:34 p.m.

The Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department was assisted on the scene by the Le Mars Police Department, Plymouth County Sheriff's Office and Anthony Plumbing Heating Electric & Air Conditioning Inc., of Le Mars.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2016 Le Mars Daily Sentinel