Eight Plymouth County farm families are among those to be honored Tuesday, Aug. 14, at the 2012 Iowa State Fair for the long-time ownership of their farm properties.
The Hoffmans -- Ken and Katherine, Steve and Shelia, and Ron and Marcy -- are among those scheduled to receive a Heritage Farm award for their Westfield area farm, owned for 150 years by various members of the Hoffman family. It's been the Hoffman farm since 1862.
Seven additional Plymouth County families will receive Century Farm recognition for ownership of their 100-year-old farms.
The recognition is part of the Century and Heritage Farm program sponsored by the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) and the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation (IFBF).
Century Farm Award recipients as identified by applications received by IDALS (with original farm ownership year in parenthesis) are:
* Ronald and Dennis Erickson, Remsen (1912),
* Randall and Jeanette Jensen, Merrill (1912),
* Bob and Leslie Loutsch and Earl Loutsch, Remsen (1898),
* Mary R. Malone and Odessa L. Ofstad, Westfield -- two farms -- (1900),
* Larry D. Radloff, Le Mars (1896),
* David and Peggy Reinking, Kingsley (1912),
* Delores J. VanNetta and Joyce V. Loutsch, Le Mars (1901).
Farm families in counties adjacent to Plymouth to be honored during the recognition ceremonies include 11 Century Farm owners in Sioux County with three Century Farm families in neighboring Lyon County.
Over 17,000 Iowa farms have received recognition as Century Farms since the program began in 1976 in conjunction with the nation's Bicentennial Celebration.
An additional 500 farms have received the Heritage Farm award since the 150-year certification was added to the recognition program in 2006.