[Masthead] Fair ~ 30°F  
High: 38°F ~ Low: 27°F
Thursday, Dec. 25, 2014

Broken leg hampered elevator worker

Tuesday, January 4, 2005

A broken leg kept a worker from climbing out of a grain dryer in Hinton Monday, so that fire departments had to come and help.

According to Roger Price, manager at the Farmer's Co-operative Co., the worker fell off the catwalk in the grain dryer where he was cleaning and couldn't get out because he couldn't climb down the ladder with a broken leg.

The catwalk is about 30 feet above the ground.

Hinton Fire Chief Chad Beck explained the maintenance worker was inside the bin about halfway up when he fell. Beck said the only way to get him out was through the side of the bin because they could not get him down the stairways inside the building.

"They air-chiseled their way out," said Beck, who asked the Le Mars Fire Department to respond because it has an aerial truck.

Le Mars Fire Chief Wayne Schipper explained the worker was lowered to the ground in a basket which attaches to the aerial ladder.

The call came shortly before 2 p.m., according to Beck, who said the hole in the dryer was about 3'x3'.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.