Plymouth County Democrats are looking for a new chairman and secretary to serve as organizers for the local political party organization.
At their county convention Saturday morning, eight county residents elected Maureen Wilson as vice chairman and Dennis Wolf as treasurer. Ron Stopak declined another re-election as chairman and Shirley Utesch chose not to retain the secretary's post.
The group selected eight delegates to the district convention: Sandra Atkinson, Ona Iverson, Roger Iverson, Mark Juhl, Paul Sitzmann, Maureen Wilson, Steve Wright and Dennis Wolf. Ona Iverson will be a member of the platform committee and Roger Iverson will join the district's rules and nominations committee.
Maurice Welte of Sergeant Bluff introduced himself as a candidate for Senate District 27 which includes the eastern part of Plymouth County. Paul Sitzmann announced his campaign for re-election to the county board of supervisors.
Those Democrats present for the county convention passed the following resolutions for the platform:
1. Since Plymouth County has the largest acreage in The Nature Conservancy as part of the Loess Hills, we want to support that fact to promote awareness and an increase in tourism for Plymouth County.
2. We support the existing bottle bill.
3. We encourage legislation to cover recycling of all beverage containers not currently covered by the existing bill.
4. We encourage and support adequate regulations for livestock and poultry confinements and adequate fund and personnel to enforce those regulations.
5. We support proposed legislation that based on a percentage of certain revenues, expenditures, and other economic indicators, equally weighted; a percentage of the rainy day fund would automatically be made available.
6. Whereas the state of Iowa has long had a tradition to encourage quality education, we request and support adequate funding for all (preschool to university) levels of public education.
7. We encourage and support the development of alternate energy sources.
8. We support legislation to encourage senior citizens to remain in Iowa with a high quality of life.